Thursday 14 February 2013

The Suitcase Exercise

This session started with a big pile of bags and suitcases in the middle of the room. We were told to pick one and take it to our own space. We were told we were about to embark on a personal journey and I felt very conscious of trying not to 'act' too much, as I wanted to keep my journey personal so that I could reflect on it without other persons input. We were asked to blindly chose an item from a box - I picked out a spotty scarf and it reminded me of headscarves women wear in old films (while driving in cars for example). I decided to try wearing the scarf but became conscious of trying to create another character, so I took it off and decided to treat it gently - as though it was very meaningful. In my head I pretended it used to belong to my mother and that I inherited it.
The next part of the journey we had to imagine we were leaving very soon and only had time to pack 5 items. On paper, I made a photo frame (with a picture of me and my husband inside) a purse with money in to get where I was going, a key just in case I could ever return, and a diary so that I could document my journey (I have put these in my scrap book). I left the place I was in because I was no longer welcome there and felt I needed to make a new start. The place I went to was quiet and high in the mountains. When I arrived I wrote a letter back home which simply said "sorry" as I did not want to go into detail in case someone else found the letter. The person it was for would know who it was from.
When sharing the journey with the class I immediately felt the need to be quite matter-of-fact. I found the exercise interesting but I also felt that I wanted to keep my feelings private and did not want to share every detail. I found the exercise quite therapeutic - which may be why I did not want to share. I believe that therapy should be kept separate from theatre and I sometimes feel uncomfortable when other students are sharing very personal details.


No comments:

Post a Comment